If you have been diagnosed with the flu, you should stay at home for at least 24 hours after your fever breaks, except to receive medical care, and follow your doctor’s recommendations.
Image credit: flu.gov
Treatment with Medication
- Over-the-counter medications may relieve some flu symptoms but will not make you less contagious.
- Your doctor may prescribe antiviral medications to make your illness milder and prevent serious complications.
- Your doctor may also prescribe antibiotics if your flu has progressed to a bacterial infection.
Treatment without Medication
- Get plenty of rest
- Drink clear fluids like water, broth, sports drinks, or electrolyte beverages to prevent becoming dehydrated
- Place a cool, damp washcloth on your forehead, arms, and legs to reduce discomfort associated with a fever
- Put a humidifier in your room to make breathing easier
- Gargle salt water (1:1 ratio warm water to salt) to soothe a sore throat
- Cover up with a warm blanket to calm chills
Talk to your doctor today. Find a doctor near you